Who is Plankton?
Sheldon J. Plankton, more commonly known only as Plankton, is a green planktonic copepod who is Mr. Krabs’ business rival. He runs an unsuccessful restaurant called the Chum Bucket alongside Karen, a waterproof supercomputer who is his sidekick and wife. The Chum Bucket is extremely unpopular in Bikini Bottom because it serves chum, a type of bait made from fish meat.
While Plankton is usually portrayed as an evil character, he is sometimes shown as a sympathetic antihero in episodes that focus on him. Let’s see what is he like:
- Taking advantage of others: When Plankton enslaves Bikini Bottom in the first movie, he forces Gary to pull a several-ton block of stone. In “Walking Small,” Plankton uses SpongeBob for unauthorized land development and manipulates him into following his orders, deceiving him in believing that they are acts of kindness.
- The need for power: As well as wanting the Krabby Patty secret formula, Plankton had a personality based on wanting power over others.
- Getting what he wants no matter what: Plankton breaks into SpongeBob’s house in “Plankton!” to enter his brain. He also invades Patrick’s house in “Salsa Imbecilicus” to get a copy of his DNA.
- Cutting corners: Plankton has poisoned his customers with his chum in numerous episodes, such as in “Plankton’s Regular,” “Spongicus,” and “For Here or to Go.”
- Disturbing the peace: In “Sweet and Sour Squid,” Plankton is arrested for playing clarinet that caused a disturbance throughout the town, even though it is Squidward’s fault.
Plankton is married to Karen, a waterproof supercomputer. Plankton built Karen himself out of a calculator and a mass of wires. She was originally a simple security system, as revealed in “Friend or Foe,” but has become more advanced as Plankton upgrades her and his other inventions with new technology. Karen lives in the Chum Bucket laboratory and is the source of his evil plans to steal the Krabby Patty formula.